It may be 2020 already, but it’s only Day 10 of the 12 Days of Brunchmas. While I love an easy avocado toast and go ham for the Eggs Benedict Casserole, a solid quiche will always make a delicious brunch. When I hosted Friendsgiving Brunch, one of my healthy foodie friends (@inthekitchenwithalyssa) brought this Vegetarian Caprese Quiche by Fresh April Flours.
This quiche is incredible if you love caprese… and how could you not! One of my favorite salads is only a big beautiful ball of buffalo mozzarella sliced with fresh Roma tomatoes and basil leaves drizzled in balsamic and olive oil. Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my face.
The Caprese Quiche essentially is a Caprese salad with lots of eggs, so it’s simple and delicious.
Hot Tip 1: Scoop the seeds out of the tomatoes so that the quiche doesn’t get soggy!
Hot Tip 2: According to Fresh April Flours, you can cover tightly and store in the refrigerator up to 4 days, or in the freezer up to 2 months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it in the fridge overnigh. Then, bake it at 350ºF for about 20 minutes.
Read the instructions on @inthekitchenwithalyssa‘s Instagram post or follow along below!
What You Need
- 1/2 of a small onion chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 large Roma tomatoes one with the seeds completely removed and chopped, the other sliced to desired thickness
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup milk (Yes, you can use your oat milk, almond milk, any milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray an 8″ or 9″ pie plate with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Drizzle a large skillet with oil or non-stick spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper to the skillet. Cook until your chopped onions are tender. After a few minutes, set the onions and garlic aside in a small bowl to cool.
- Slice one of your tomatoes in half and scoop those seeds out. After seeds are removed, slice the tomato then set it aside with your onions and garlic.
- Pack basil leaves into 1/3 cup measuring cup, then chop to desired size. Stir the basil into your bowl of tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Spoon this mixture into the bottom of your pie plate and spread into an even layer. Top with mozzarella and set aside.
- Finally, onto the eggs! In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined. Pour into your pie on top of the mozzarella. Slice your second tomato and lay the slices gently on top of your eggs. Don’t sweat it if some of your slices sink a bit! Sprinkle a dash of salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until filling is set. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.