What the heck is pancake cereal? Okay, if you’re one of the few somehow avoiding all social media, you might not know about the trending Pancake Cereal on TikTok. It is not your average pancake, it’s a cool pancake. (I know I need to stop trying to quote Mean Girls, sorry!) Back to your question, pancake cereal quite simply is a bowl full of tiny bite size pancakes.
How did we get to making bowls of mini pancakes? Creativity is at it’s finest while we’re all bored in the house. It’s a fun, easy way to take your classic pancake recipe and make it something new and exciting.
Some people stick to their classic recipe, others have made strawberry batter, chocolate chip, confetti, snickerdoodle, the batter options are endless.
There isn’t just one way to make the mini pancake cereal, I don’t have any piping equipment, so I used a ziploc bag and cut a small hole on the end to pipe the small dots of batter onto the skillet. The Hummingbird High’s post on how to make these mini pancake cereal details all of the many ways you can flip these baby pancakes.
I’ve been working on a sourdough starter for a few weeks, so I really wanted to try that for these mini pancakes. I used this sourdough pancake recipe from Tales of Lizzy T, and with a lot of help from my boyfriend, this pancake cereal turned out fabulous!
Here’s how we put all this together!
Ingredients and Tools for the Soudough Pancake Cereal
Sourdough Pancake Batter Ingredients
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar (I used Maple Sugar. It’s a bit sweeter than regular sugar!)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used whole milk.)
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted.)
What You’ll Need to Pipe the Mini Pancake Cereal
- Small ziploc bag with a tiny hole cut into the corner or a piping bag
- Chopsticks or two spatulas (It’s a bit tricky to flip the mini pancakes; some TikTokers use their fingers but that’s a bit dangerous!)
- Non-Stick Skillet
Topping Ideas for the Mini Pancake Cereal
- Melted Peanut Butter
- Chocolate chips
- Milk (??? It’s cereal!)
How to Prepare the Batter for Mini Pancake Cereal
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and soda, sugar and salt.
- Add the sourdough starter, milk, egg and oil. Mix well just until combined.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray or grease well with butter and heat to medium high.
- Scoop the batter into the ziploc bag or piping tool. Carefully pipe half inch dots on the skillet. Heat till you see bubbles form, bring out the chopsticks and start flipping! (This is tricky and time consuming, so if it’s taking too long you can lower the heat.)
- Check that both sides are golden brown. (should take another minute or two.)
- Add your mini pancakes to your favorite bowl, throw on your toppings, and enjoy!