I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the Dutch Baby Pancake is THE best recipe to have up your sleeve. They are like a breakfast pizza / fluffy pancake if you make a savory concoction. Also, it’s such an easy brunch recipe!
When I made the Savory Herb Dutch Baby Pancakes I used the Half Baked Harvest recipe as a base for the dough. This time I doubled the recipe from Bon Appetit and WOW did these turn out fluffy and incredible. The recipe for the dough is a little different, but the other factor could be using a steel pan instead of the cast iron.
Hot Tip: Under no circumstances should you open the oven for the first 15 minutes. If you mess with the heat, your pancake might deflate.
What You’ll Need
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, slightly cooled, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Toppings Optional (Arugula with lemon and olive oil, parmesan, mozzarella, shaved radishes, chopped sun-dried tomatoes)
Dutch Baby Pancake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place 2 tablespoons butter in a large ovenproof skillet (I used this stainless steel pan). Place the skillet in the center of the oven and allow it to heat for 25 minutes while you prepare the recipe.
- In a blender, mix your eggs for one minute. Then add the milk and mix for another 30 seconds. Now add your flour, salt, pepper, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons melted butter until the mixture is combined. (Careful not to go overboard on the mixing!)
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and quickly pour the batter into the skillet.
- Carefully place the skillet in the center of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pancake is fully puffed and browned on the edges. DO NOT open the oven during the first 15 minutes of cooking or you might deflate your pancake.
- Once you see the pancake puffing around the edges QUICKLY remove the pancake from the oven and add your desired toppings.
- Serve fresh and enjoy!
- Massage a teaspoon of lemon and a tablespoon of olive oil into three cups of arugula.
- Thinly slice two radishes
- Add all the cheese you want – I used fresh mozzarella and parmesan
- Finally chop a few sun-dried tomatoes
- Add to your fresh pancake, sprinkle salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Check out the most recent posts
- The Best Outdoor Brunch Restaurants in Pittsburgh
- Where to Book Easter Brunch Reservations or Order Takeout: Pittsburgh 2021
- How to Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day in 2021: Pittsburgh Restaurants and At-Home Recipes
- How to Plan the Most Romantic Brunch Date at Home
- The PGH Guide to Galentine’s/Valentine’s Brunch