It wouldn’t feel like Christmas without Eggnog! Day 4 of 12 Days of Brunchmas brings us this Eggnog French Toast. This cinnamon rum Eggnog French toast is quick and easy for the holidays.
Hot tip 1: Challah absorbs the eggnog mix really quickly so you don’t have to let it soak more than 20 seconds. Also, it doesn’t fall apart as easily as other breads when you soak it!
Hot tip 2: Be careful not to overdo the rum. I accidentally added a teaspoon too much and it had a strong rum flavor. To make up for that, I added more cinnamon. Honestly, it was great but some might not want it to taste so rummy.
What You’ll Need
- 1 loaf challah bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups eggnog, store-bought or homemade
- 2 tbls dark rum (You can substitute rum for 2 tsp rum extract)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tbls unsalted butter
- *Raspberries, blackberries, powdered sugar, maple syrup for toppings
- Slice your bread into 1 inch slices. (Or, go crazy and make it thick. It’ll just have to soak longer!)
- Whisk the eggnog, rum, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract until it’s all fully mixed.
- Grab a slice or two of bread and soak for 30 seconds or longer. (Make sure to get both sides.)
- Heat skillet over medium-low heat. Add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet.
- Once the bread is soaked, throw it on the fry for 2 minutes on each side. The French Toast is finished when it’s golden brown.
- Serve warm and add your toppings.
- Repeat until you’re all out of bread and mix.